Spare Key is a new service using the power of Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter and Google Maps, along with your social graph, to provide you with a home away from home, no matter where you are in the world.
Entering the world of Spare Key membership is easy:
- Simply install the Spare Key app in your Facebook account.
- When you need a place to rest, a drink of water, use of a restroom, or a spare bed for the night, simply click the Spare Key button on your Facebook profile.
- Look at the map that appears, showing the locations of Spare Keys or alarm codes for homes and offices around you.
All we ask is the following:
- Please DO NOT use Spare Key for evil purposes like burglary.
- Please REPLACE each Spare Key back in its place after use or re-arm burglar alarm systems.
- Please RESPECT all homes and offices you access with Spare Key.
We believe nothing brings more joy in life than helping a fellow traveller in a time of need.
Spare Key is your Home Away From Home
When you have joined, you will see the Spare Key link on your Home page:
NOTE: All information has been derived and pieced together from publicly available material and some private email/messaging content.
Spare Key is currently in BETA and only shows entry to homes and offices of people directly connected to you, your friends, or friends of friends. When the full service goes public, you will have access to information from the 850 million people using Facebook worldwide.
If you want to get the special access code to join the BETA, please leave your request in the comments below.
Launch Date: April 1st